Monday, September 27, 2010

Evening Walks on the Beach


There's just something cool and romantic about walking on the beach with my wife.  At least three nights a week, Tami and I take the 3 minute drive to the ocean to simply chill, be together and gather our thoughts.  The peaceful atmosphere that chills our stress, the light breeze off of the ocean that tickles our ears, the scent of sea weed & salt water that refreshes our sense of smell, the sand between our toes that reminds us we really do live at the beach, the cold water on our feet that feels like ice water & the sounds of the birds that's music to our ears all add to the ambiance of these intentional moments.  I have to be the most blessed guy around to have a God who loves me, a wife who tolerates me, children who put up with me and a church that allows me week after week to share my heart from God's Word.  And, to live in a place that I unquestionably cherish.  Not sure if it could get better that this; in fact, as I'm writing out load, if you will, I think of the Lord's Prayer, actually the Lord's Model Prayer, which has a phrase in it that resonates with me, "...thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."  Here's the connection I'm thinking through - getting away & and being alone with God, alone with my best friend and simply existing in solitude is part of what the Lord means when He states in His Word that we're to come to Him and He'll rest us.  And you know, its different for all of us.  I have friends who are refreshed by working on a ranch with horses, others who get alone with the Lord by taking a ride on their Harley!  All to say, wherever that place is, go there and hang, rest and connect with the Lord.  Moses did it!  Daniel, Isaiah, Jeremiah and yes, even Jesus got away to rest.  And, if they needed too, so do we - so, how about it, can you etch time in your schedule to go to that place of refreshment and enjoy?  I hope so...I know I need to often, and I get to do so with my gal and best friend!  Have a great day...








1 comment:

  1. mmmm.... my favorite prayer walk is along the back bay in Osos after I drop the kids off at school in the morning... love me those walks and that quiet picnin table that I sit and read at :)

    Great pics :)

    ReplyDelete