Thursday, May 24, 2012

In Celebration of Sea Glass

A few weeks ago, I teased my wife from the stage at our church about her fetish to collect Sea Glass.  I went on and on about how boring it is, that someone else's trash is her treasure - you know, the fun digging that only a loving, considerate and sensitive husband can get away with.  Well, unbeknownst to me, the Director of the Cayucos Sea Glass Festival (the largest festival in the country, I'm told) was in the audience, as was her administrator and our amazing bass player Jeff - the epitome of a sea glass enthusiast.  When I was informed of my blunder(s), I walked over to  them and bowed, apologized and felt like a complete dunce as the congregation enjoyed a serious belly laugh at this dope they call their Pastor - seriously, I'm still trying to get out of the dog house with my Tami over this idiotic display of stupidity called an attempt at humor.

Well, Tuesday's are a date night for Tami and I, so, I did the husband thing and went sea glassing (don't tell my buddies - please, the last time I attempted this hobby I was razzed for weeks on end...) two days ago... guess what?  It wasn't too bad, I had a great time with my gal and, I actually had a spiritual epiphany regarding collecting brown, white, clear, red, blue, and yellow sea glass.  As I attempted to act like I was enjoying the moment, each piece of glass that I picked up began speaking to me.  NO - not verbally, but my mind began to consider the plight of each piece and all of a sudden I realized that each and every piece of sea glass, regardless of color, size, shape or ethnicity (... come on, give me a little artist liberty, will ya?), had the same characteristics.  Check it out, they all were:


·       broken


·       isolated


·       lonely


·       and, worthless


As I thought about it, metaphorically, we as people can be likened unto to sea glass.  We've all broken at one time or another and forced into isolation because of the pain, hurt and wounds of life.  This further exasperates us into an existence of loneliness because we're considered worthless, from an internal perspective and even external, from people, at times.  However, when Christ, The Great Sea Glass Collector, comes to the sands of our life - He searches and with intention and resolve looks to collect us, desires to mend our brokenness, without question He embraces our isolation, wholeheartedly welcomes our lonely state and, are you ready: He takes the worthlessness of us and not only makes us something beautiful, He shows off His find, called you and I, for all of creation to see!  Wow, pretty amazing - can I have an amen? 

When I take the time to consider how privileged I am and how totally blessed I am to be considered His child, my mind spins iout of control with appreciative gratitude.  The following verse is my new sea glass verse:



"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field." Matthew 13:44

This evening, before you retire, look up and thank God He considered you worthy to find you on that beach of brokenness, isolation, loneliness and worthlessness in order to give you life, give you purpose, give you forgiveness, give you love - and on and on and on!  Never forget, you're His treasure, His very own, if you will, beautiful find!  Blessings...





2 comments:

  1. Hi, unfortunately I am not a particularly religious person as I struggle to understand the harshness of our world, but, as a lover of beachcombing for Sea Glass, my ponderings over the life cycles of each and every piece led to me stumbling on your beautifully written post. Very lovely words, I love the metaphors and imagery within. Nice parallels with loneliness, I'm pleased to have read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue, very kind words. Have a great evening.
    Randy

    ReplyDelete