Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Watch What You Say!

 
Yesterday, I was having my alone time at the beach, enjoying my Monday relaxing and basking in the beauty of Morro Bay. I had my coffee, my journal and my Bible. A verse from King David located in the Book of Psalms 141:3 not only caught my eye, but it also caught my heart...in a convicting way. It goes like this:
 
 
"Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips."
 
 
Basically, this piece poetry was telling me to keep my mouth shut, to watch what I say, to close my mouth, to...you get the picture. Immediately, my mind started to jump all over the Bible to other passages that confirmed what I was hearing. For example, I read in Mark 9 and the story of the Transfiguration. Peter is so caught up in the moment he says something really lame; namely, he blurts out that it would be good to build three alters - one for Jesus, one for Elijah and one for Moses. No sooner did he get that out of his mouth did a voice come from heaven, "...listen to My Son!" In other words you knuckle head, listen to Jesus, the other dudes are just like you! And, then I journeyed over to James 1 where the half-brother of Jesus said that we should be quick to hear and slow to speak; or, since you've only been given one mouth and two ears, use the ears more man.
 
 
It seems to be a common thread of scripture, be careful what comes out of your mouth. Ephesians 4:29 reminds me that everything I say should speak unmerited favor to those who hear it. Paul, the author of this little New Testament book stated that we should be use our speech and what we say in a way that not only provides unmerited favor to the hearer, but also what we say should be a form of ministry, a way of lifting up, a way of blessing to the recipient.
 
 
Bottom line, for me: think and pray before I speak. Profound, I know...let me put it this way, as I wrote in my journal yesterday: Randy, think about what comes out of the door of your mouth in such a way that it is a blessing and not a curse; ensure its refreshing, empowering and full of love.
 
 
A simple reminder for me, perhaps you, that what I/we say should be a form of building up verses tearing down, a way to say I/we love instead of a way to express disdain, and a way to serve others rather than taking from others. Speech is a powerful tool - let's use it for His purpose and for His much loved humanity!

2 comments:

  1. Very convicting. An area that I also need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I would say that I am a Pondering Phoenix!! One who is thinking on God's Word and Rising from the ashes of my mind!
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete