Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Power of Touch


Last Friday was one of those days that will be etched in my memory bank for a long time to come.  On Friday’s, I’m honored to serve the Morro Bay Police Department as a Chaplain and ride in the squad car with my buddy Hannibal.  My day started with two hours of marriage counseling at my office over at the church and ended ten hours later back at my office counseling a good friend through a turbulent time.  Needless to say, I was emotionally, spiritually, mentally and physically spent.  What happened in the middle of my therapy sessions is what touched, tugged and even tore at my heart.  You see, I never know what to expect on Fridays – and, Friday the 6th of August was no exception.  From a domestic violence situation that Officer’s Pipan and Hannibal handled brilliantly to the normal police work, I was stoked to witness the MBPD champion what they do so well – care for the citizens of Morro Bay.

During my observations, I was touched emotionally with the touch physically of these officers.  As a Chaplain, my role is simply to provide a word of encouragement, a silent prayer here and there and, if needed, a word of counsel to a distraught civilian.  On one of the calls, a family was grieving over the death of their three dogs.  When we arrived, a ten year old girl was having trouble breathing as she grieved over her pain – Officer Hannibal to the rescue.  He walked over and hugged this girl; she melted in his arms like no other.  The result: her tears stopped and she was comforted.  The girl’s mother was hurting too, tears uncontrollable – Officer Pipan to the rescue.  She walked over and put her arm around her & whispered, “…I’m so sorry for you!”  Her touch to the distraught lady also brought great comfort and love.

As I reflect on that touching moment (no pun intended), the physical touch of these two officers spoke volumes, almost screaming out loud with a broadcast that said, “Hey, we might be a cops; but we’re also humans that care for you; and, we are here for you, right now, to participate in your pain!”  This reminds me of a story some 2,000 years ago reported by a young follower of the Way named Mark.  He wrote of this woman who had a blood issue of twelve years, who sought every doctor in Israel, spent all her money – all to no avail.  She heard of this Jewish guy who was a Rabbi that had healing powers.  She thought, “If I just touch Him, I will be made whole.”  She risks everything and finds this Miracle Maker to simply touch His garment.  When she did, not only was she healed physically, I submit she was healed emotionally, mentally and spiritually.  In fact, the Carpenter said, “…I felt the healing powers flow from Me!”

You know, the Power of Touch is unlimited.  Doing a quick study this morning on touch I learned that babies thrive when touched, teenagers communicate better when touched, and, adults are happier when touch is normal place.  Very interesting, extremely intriguing and a great lesson for a guy who has proximity issues!

Well, this short note can’t suffice to communicate the importance of touch and I’d like to close with a short story about one of Morro Bay Citizen’s that recently passed away.  Our little fellowship partners with the MBPD often to feed those who are down-n-out, those who are in financial difficulties and those who simply need help; in fact, we do this regularly on Friday’s.  Rhonda was one of our dear residents that we as a church loved, and the MBPD treated with great honor and respect.  On Friday’s, our dear Rhonda would literally wait for a touch,  a bear hug from one of our hero’s named Jenny.  When we arrived at Rhonda’s home, Jenny – at 90 – would literally jump out of the car and run to give dear Rhonda a hug!  The picture below is the two of them, hugging just a week before Rhonda’s passing (Rhonda, we miss you & love you!).



In short, thank you Officer Pipan, Officer Hannibal and yes, thank you Rhonda and Jenny for your example that a hug here, a hug there, a touch of love can go a long way to communicate care, compassion and comfort!  Today, let’s all look for someone to touch and express our love for them…they probably need it!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this story its been a rough year and it touched me

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT blog Randy!!! Amen to all if the above!
    Blessings, Sheri Wilson:)

    ReplyDelete