Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Legacy To Behold

The other day I was privileged to head south and visit the memory of two old friends of mine; well, actually, they are more than friends - they're two of the greatest people I've met in my 50 years of existence.  Their names: Morton and Winona Salsman, my amazing and fantastic grandparents! 
When I think of my blessing, I'm reminded of authenticity and realness.  My grandparents lived in a way that upheld the Judeo-Christian lifestyle with dignity and resolve, and at the same time, they lived as people, not as Bible Thumpers, not as Arrogant - Pious I've Arrived Christians.  You see, their life spoke volumes of their love for their Creator; their faith was simply lived out in the day to day journey we call existence.  As the great baseball player once said, "...walk softly and carry a big stick!"  In other words, let your walk do the talk typified the Salsman's.

I guess what I'm most thankful for is twofold.  First, their introduction of Jesus into my family years ago (...there's over 30 blood relatives today that have embraced their God and from that, the numbers are staggering & are having worldwide impact...) .  Second, the fact that I can cheer for the Dodgers, laugh at lame jokes, have the freedom to express who I was created to be - without judgment or the expectation to be something I'm not! 

Here's the kicker, if you will.  Mort and Winona Salsman left my family with a most admirable legacy, impacting us years after their death.  And, truth be told, they didn't try to leave an impact - they simply existed in a love relationship with the Lord and their life simply changed lives for the good.  Lesson to embrace: live in that love relationship with God and see Him live His love in and...through you!  Great lesson for me, thanks guys!

1 comment:

  1. Ok you made me cry...I think of them most at this time of year...miss them so....remember the boys in front of the TV watching football and the girls at the long table chatting away...ahh...all after presents of course...and then New Year's Day will never be the same...the BEST New Year's were spent at gramma and grampa's ...arriving early to make it to the Rose Parade and then hanging out all after noon...eating, football, walks, but most of all fellowshipping with the most amazing people on earth..the Salsman's and the Ponder's....and we all knew Jesus as Lord and Savior...we love and miss you gramma and grampa....thanks Rand for this post...awesome truths we can all take back to our family!
    Love you Bro!!!

    ReplyDelete