Monday, November 22, 2010

Judge Not - Man!

A really funny & convicting thing happened to my buddy and I the other day...

Let me set the stage -- have you ever heard someone say to you: "Judge Not?" Or, how about this one: "Who do you think you are judging me?" Or, from time to time: "What makes you so righteous to...critique me?"  Well, I've heard these indictments from time to time; and, if truth be told, I've uttered them once or twice in my day.  Well, to be fair, my favorite Jewish Rabbi actually said this some 2,000 years ago on a hill called Mt. Beatitudes overlooking the scenic Sea of Galilee.  It was on that infamous day that Jesus said, "Judge not lest you be judged..."  Now contextually, He was calling out those who judged, critiqued and looked down upon another; in fact, Jesus employed the Greek word Krino that carries with it the idea of condemning, damning, calling into question and casting a negative sentence upon another. 

Okay -- here's the funny and convicting incident: on Friday of last week, I was traveling with my Friend/Police Officer Richard from the Morro Bay Police Department.  Our day started with a Code 3 call to north Morro Bay to assist the Fire Department on a structural fire.  We then drove around, and performed the normal police duties (...well, Richard did - I'm simply the Chaplain guy that just takes it all in...quite fun by the way!).  After lunch, Richard received a Medical Aid call from our great dispatchers at the local Albertsons.  We were within 100 yards of the store and drove quickly, parked in the Red Zone and were directed to Aisle 11 to help this sweet lady who was having seizures.  I was able to help prop her up, pray silently while Richard calmed her spirit before our Paramedics came.  We stayed a few more minutes and then were dismissed as the professionals offered their expertise.

When we returned to the squad car -- now remember, this was an emergency and it was raining pretty steadily -- we found this note on the windshield:


Needless to say, we were a tad perturbed, dismayed and well, sort of judgmental (at least I was...).  I think my comment was, "...are you kidding me?  Seriously, we were helping a lady and someone had the gall to put this on the squad car?  What kind of person would be so arrogant?"  Well, Richard and I went into a brief discussion on judgment and dismissed this mystery person as less than acceptable. 

Within 5 minutes, we received a newsflash on the computer in the car from dispatch that said, "Happy wants to know if you removed your Parking Violation?"  This brought laughter and joy to both of us.  You see, Happy is a friend of Richard and is a wonderful citizen of Morro Bay who is really trying to win at this journey called life.  A few weeks back, Richard and I were privileged to encourage Happy with words of affirmation and support as he was working through some challenges.  So, this revelation that the note came from our pal was both refreshing and yes, convicting.

Refreshing: because it brought fun and entertainment to a difficult moment on Aisle 11.  Convicting: because I was found guilty of the very thing I was accusing the mystery note writer of...judging.  Hum? 

Conclusion: Judge Not, Man! 

Oh by the way, we ran into Happy and his girlfriend an hour or so later and the joy on his face because he was able to tease his hero Richard will be implanted on my mind for days to come!  Last, I just love being taught my inefficiencies through these life experiences - thanks Happy for teaching me yet another lesson on how much I have to learn...


No comments:

Post a Comment