Friday, September 3, 2010

Mr. Lincoln

I love word pictures, descriptive language and yes, I love metaphors -- especially when the symbol speaks to my inadequacies and serves as a challenge to change. Below is a picture of a flower in our front yard. The flower is called a Mr. Lincoln and wow, the aroma that emits from this beautiful rose is simply heavenly, no question about it. Well, I read the Scriptures recently that encouraged me to live in such a way that my life is a sweet smelling aroma before God. Get the picture? Lately the rose called my life hasn't been a Mr. Lincoln, but rather, a Mr. Crabface. Check it out: recently I had an encounter at the airport that made me most irritable; the other day I was frustrated with an arrogant store owner and almost told her so; and, just today, I had disdain in my spirit toward a knucklehead that would drive anyone bonkers.  Now - this is my take, their side of the story most likely indicts me as the bum - in each situation! Well, as a Jesus follower, my life is intended to smell good, emit grace and send forth an aroma that blesses the socks off of others. Or, as my wife calls it: we're suppose to be a fragrance of loveliness (doesn’t that sound beautiful?).  All to say, as I was just outside getting our suitcases for an upcoming trip, Mr. Lincoln screamed at me with the scent of, "...Randal, clean up; you my friend are to be that perfume of life that makes wanting to know the God you represent irresistible.  Take a lesson from me and be that bouquet of odor that draws people rather than repels people!"  All to say...lesson learned and grateful the Lord uses the little things in life to communicate profound truths!
Mr. Lincoln

1 comment:

  1. Once again, terrific "sermon" on the simple truths of reality!! Thanks for speaking to this heart and allowing me to "ponder" along with you!!

    ReplyDelete