Saturday, July 10, 2010

God and Sea Glass


A few weeks back, my wife suggested that we find a hobby, together, to get away from the daily grind of the office. Her suggestion: hold hands, walk on the beach &, are you ready...collect sea glass. Admittedly, my first thought was, "Come on...seriously, collect glass on the beach; I like holding your hand, but how about a hike; a kiss? Or, a leisure run on the beautiful shoreline of the Central Coast? Or, let's go kayaking more? Maybe a bike ride, or - yes, even a nap? We can hold hands and do all these things; but Sea Glass?" Tami assured me I'd enjoy the journey; I just needed to wrap my attitude around the truth of time spent together is healthy and will actually win some points with my gal. Well, you guessed it: after spending a few outings, I must say...it has been a blast! In fact, I've even found some of the rare blue weathered glass that's an exceptional discovery. Just last night, after spending three days in Monterey celebrating our 26th anniversary, Tami and I drove the .6 miles to the shore from our home and began our investigation of Morro Bay Sea Glass. Well, I had one of those moments, if you will: after I failed miserably to navigate a slippery rock, I found myself face down on the beach, with middle toe on my right foot bleeding, my left wrist & right pinkie finger swelling, and my glasses scratched & cracked by the fall - I just simply had to laugh! A former athlete (at least in my own mind) laying on the beach, gripping with all his might the three pieces of glass that the last hour produced - God forbid that they get lost in the fall - is simply ridiculous!


Well, it's now 12 hours later, Saturday morning to be precise; and, as I reflect on that hilarious experience, I relate it to an amazing truth; namely God holding me, in His hand - His righteous right hand. Through the thick and thin, down in the valleys, up on the mountain top, on the shaky sandy beach of life - my God holds me in His hand with a grip that simply never lets go! Now, granted, I don't think the Lord would be dumb enough to climb the ragged rock I did, nor do I think for a moment He would be as clumsy as I; however, He willingly climbed a hill called Calvary and allowed death to overtake Him so that He could hold me, and you, in His hand - too never let go!


All to say, whether you are collecting sea glass or in the grocery store buying a snickers bar, God winks at you and says, "I Love You!" Today, look for Him and I promise, He'll wink at you in a way that will grab your heart like never before! Have a great weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment