Wednesday, January 23, 2013

'Going Camping'


I started something new this year called 'Going Camping.'  I love backpacking, hiking and campfires; I thoroughly enjoy fresh fish tacos and blue lakes in the mountains.  I even enjoy a 50 pound pack strapped to my back and the work that comes with it.  The cool breeze, sleeping under the stars, life can't be much better.  This summer I hope to tackle the Eastern Sierras and venture high elevations on long, arduous walks to simply bask in the freedom of the outdoors.  

As a Christ follower, I too love to spend time daily with my Master, hanging out, meditating, talking and listening to His tender quiet voice.  The Word instructs us to not allow His Word to depart from us and that we should meditate on it day and night so we may have a fruitful life (Joshua 1:8).  Well, in light of this, I'm trying something a bit different this year for what I call 'alone time.'  Namely, I've been 'Going Camping.'  Well, not in the conventional way; rather, I've been 'Going Camping... Spiritually.'  In other words, I've been picking one section of scripture a week to camp out with.  My thought: there are 52 weeks a year and if I can pick one camp site a week, I will have hidden 52 nuggets of truth in my heart for 2013.  

Thus far, I've camped at and learned:
Week one: Philippians 1:9-11 – I'm to abound more in love 
Week two: Romans 11:36 – life is about, for and because of Him
Week three: Colossians 1:28 – Randy, point people to Jesus

This week, my destination is 1 Peter 4:11.  This is a great passage to walk with, a great verse to sit with, reflect upon and apply.  You see, Peter is instructing believer’s who have been forced out of Jerusalem due to persecution to speak as if they are speaking on behalf of God.  And, when they serve, they are to serve only with the power that He provides.  Talk about a trail that is a challenge; talk about a route that is convicting.  Further, Peter sums up his heart when he writes, “… that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ…”  

To be honest with you, this is a tough road to walk for me.  I many a time forget to listen before I speak; I all too often do before I think about a consequence.  And, I truly have a narcissistic way about me – many a day is about Randy and not about my Lord.  Ok, enough self deprecating, that’s not productive.  Rather, the encampment called 1 Peter 4:11 invites me, with His strength, to be His spokesman and His servant to a world that desperately needs His love.  In so speaking and doing, the end result is that my journey brings Him glory and honor.  And further, my satisfaction and purpose in life is totally linked and dependent upon bringing Him praise. 

Well, my encouragement - go camping and sit with God.  Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"  Seriously, there isn't a greater privilege in life than to be in relationship with our Creator.  Blessings to you and as the new phrase goes, 'Peace Out!' 


No comments:

Post a Comment