Thursday, July 7, 2011

In Celebration of a Dream

It was the summer of 1983, I just graduated from Cal Poly and I was moving from SLO to a place called paradise, commonly known as Morro Bay.  I distinctly remember driving my blue Toyota Turcel down main street in a nostalgic, cocky on top of the world, ready to make my mark type of attitude.  I turned left on Napa Street and drove about a quarter mile or so and parked at street number 420.  As I jumped out of my car to begin unloading my minuscule worldly possessions, I layed eyes on the most beautiful brown eyed babe I'd ever seen; in fact, this beauty was washing her car and, yes -she was even in a purple bikini.  I thought, '...man, I've got to meet this one!'  The first words of out my mouth were so romantic, so profound, so me.  I said, "...hey, will you wash my car?"  You know, it just came out; what was I thinking?  Something like, "...good afternoon, my name is Randy.  How are you today?  May I help you?" would have been appropriate.  But NO, a fumble, an error, a missed free throw - yes, "...hey, will you wash my car?"  Seriously, what a dufus.  Well, her comment was, "...um, I think you should be washing my car!"  It was as if she said, "...you idiot, what a dork you are!  Really, can I wash your car?  Get lost you weirdo!"  I proceeded to smile, unload my car with my head down in shame and embarrassment and yes, anger.  You see, I blew it and felt there was no chance of ever going on a date with this well spoken, direct and absolutely hot looking young coed! 

Well, after a few weeks, I couldn't help myself.  I mustered up enough guts to ask her on an official date (I still didn't know her name...).  She said, "...sure, I'll go!"  I couldn't believe it.  Well, from the moment she agreed, I knew I was in for the ride of a life time.  In fact, deep down, though we had only talked once or twice since my lame introduction, I knew this was my gal.  On our first date, back in 1983, on the Embarcadero in Morro Bay, in my car, I asked her to marry me.  Seriously, I really did - I knew she was the one.  Well, in Tami fashion, she responded, "...um, please pull the car over and let me out.  I'm going to walk home!" 

I look back one that day and chuckle, as she does!  A year later we were married and twenty seven years later, with three grown young men, a daughter in law and a host of cats, I'm still in love with this brown eyed babe.  Today is our anniversary and I celebrate my wife and thank God for the blessing of my life.  A few years ago the movie Dream Girls came out and there was a song that had the following lyrics, "...when I first saw you, I said Oh my, Oh my that's a dream - that's my dream!"  Today, I feel the same, Tami is not only still my dream - she's the Proverbs 31 lady that still captures my heart! 

4 comments:

  1. Yeah... you definitely married up! :)
    Happy Anniversary Guys! We love ya. - Ken & Tara J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love a good love story! So glad the Lord brought you together. You make a great pair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story is so wonderful... It is a wonderful reflection of God's love for us... Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was lovely Randy. Wish we'd known a couple of weeks ago. Happy Anniversary to you and Tami. May the Lord bless the next 27yrs abundantly...Eph.3:20-21....ps, I didn't get a bruise on my arm...love you kids.
    Chris and Gary Evans

    ReplyDelete