Monday, April 11, 2011

A Miracle Underway - Part 2

Back in November, I received an urgent phone call informing me that our friend's daughter was in labor and it wasn't going well.  Immediately, we began to pray for Lisa, Chris and their soon baby-to-be Sophie.  When Sophie Rose was born she went without oxygen for over 8 minutes and had to be emergency air-lifted to Children's Hospital in Seattle, Washington.  It truly was touch and go; the young parents were given little hope!  Prayers were offered from Ethiopia to Australia, from the Philippines to Kenya, from California to Washington...all seeking a miracle of unprecedented proportions.  

Okay...fast forward four and half months!  A few nights ago my pal Steve called and told me Tri-Tip was on the BBQ and better yet, his granddaughter Sophie was waiting to meet me, along with Chris, Lisa and Addie (Sophie's big 2 year old sister).  Well, we drove as fast as we could and made the 4 mile trek in less than 3 minutes to Cayucos, a small Central Coast dream town.   Tami and I practically ran into the house, washed our hands and fought over who would be the privileged one to hold the miracle first.  I won...yes, I was selfish - but frankly, I didn't really care and I still don't - I love babies, and I have a kindred spirit and heart with this precious bundle of joy.  As you can see, Sophie is simply amazing and a blessing indeed.

Miracle Sophie Rose

  As I sit and think through this miracle in my mind, I do have questions as to the whys (I hope that's okay with God...)?  Seriously, Sophie Rose was sparred her life; mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, aunts, uncles, family and friends were all spared grief - for this I'm totally grateful!  Yet, there are so many who aren't privileged with the same outcome.  Just this past month, I've counseled and worked with two families (both personal friends of mine...) that have had to walk through death's door and in both cases the outcome was not only hurtful, it was unnatural - both men taken far too early from this world.  And to complicate my thoughts, I've been praying with and for another family friend of mine that has agonized over their 17 year old son's sudden illness (...please pray for Grant and check out his story at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_192541437430882).  Sometimes these things simply don't make sense.  Now, does this alter my faith? Put into question my commitment to the God I love? Cause me to allow bitterness, anger and hurt to flood my soul?  I hope not, I do my best to protect that.  However, its in times like these that all we can do is say, "...wow, You're God and we're not!"  And, the comforting thing for me is rather profound and yet oh so simple - none of these incidents have taken the Lord by surprise, they're Father filtered, if you will.  Further, since He is God, He will sustain, take care of, enable and fully uphold all of His followers in His right hand of love, both in the good and the bad times of life! 

Back to Sophie - I am convinced that the Lord has allowed her to live, with perfect brain waves and motor functions, to make His Name famous.  I also believe that our Sophie has a special assignment, designed before Creation, that God has for her.  In Christian circles, the phrase goes, "...God has a special call on your life!"  (personally, I feel God has a special call on all of our lives...)  In this case, Sophie Rose has a Divine Purpose on this earth that is two fold, as far as I can Biblically see it.  First, that her life brings great Glory to her God; and second, it is in that pursuit of God's Glory that Sophie Rose will realize her complete joy and satisfaction on this earth!  As Job, the poet of old, once said, "...the Lord gives and the Lord takes - Blessed be the Name of the Lord!"  In this case, Blessings to You God and thank you for this gift of life called Sophie Rose!

Check her smile out...

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful story Rand..praise God! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't she a doll?? I was so blessed to meet her and her mommy at church! And yes, the questions are hard, but I TRUST God knows the bigger picture and when we see it all written out in his books it will all make PERFECT sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry I missed meeting Sophie Rose last week, I pray she will hold her Lord forever in her heart, never fearing, always trusting and always loving Him, no matter what. I will forever feel a tie to her because of praying for her with a confidence that was unshakable. TRUST in HIM is always annointing.
    Love, Melinda Rice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy, the news gets better and better. At Sophie's doctor visit this past week he told mom and dad that she would no longer require the supplemental oxygen and that all of her tests were as normal as they could be considering who her grandad was. Sophia's house will finally assume a level of normalcy which is good.
    Proud Grandad Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly an amazing God! God does filter everything, and that is where faith comes in. - Jeanne

    ReplyDelete